Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Who Needs A Wreathin To Craft?

Apparently I did... 'cause after searching for cute patriotic wreaths and coming up short I decided to make my own.  I wanted something for my double doors so that it would read as an American flag stretched across both wreaths... and I found nada.  How is it that none of the fabulous crafters of etsy or Pinterest haven't come up with something?!  I mean c'mon it meant I actually had to think up something on my own, which was probably a good brain exercise since I love and use both of those websites a tad excessively I'm pretty sure my brain has lost nearly all activity. ;)  I also like the look of horizontal stripes so it would look like an actual flag... but the only wreaths I could find all had the sunburst pattern which seemed overdone and a dime a dozen to me.  No offense to anyone, just my opinion.  So this was my solution to make a patriotic floral wreath duo that actually looks like an American flag.  I'm sure there are cheaper ways than using hydrangeas like I did, though Michael's IS having a big floral sale right now. ;)  Since it's kinda different I wanted to keep it semi traditional by using silks, I'm sure the tshirt/fabric scrap or paper/tissue methods could work too.  I went and got the cheapest wreath forms michaels had, which were the plastic wrapped hay ones.  I think they were $4.  Hobby lobby was closed or else I totally would've gone there as their wreath stuff is way cheaper.  I think it's $4 for styrofoam ones whereas Michael's are $8.  Again just guesstimates but when I'm a woman on a mission I like to strike while the iron's hot and the idea is fresh in my mind. ;) So Michael's it was. I just used chintzy white fabric cut into strips to wrap around my cheap-o hay wreaths so they still look fab from inside my house.  Then wielded my hot glue gun like Butch Cassidy in a stick up.  And there you have it!    Lmk if you have any questions!  

It was a laughy, crafty, icedreamy day!

💗shavonneupdike

7 comments:

Adria said...

Catchy title!! You are my mommy, fashion, and craft idol!!

Kristin said...

Dude, feeling you on the brain dead. Thank you Pinterest. Good work! Vision you have, my dear. One of these hot July days, Capri and I are going to come SWIM-MING! And then she'll be tired, and will take a nap, and then we're going to CRAFT. :)

Jamie Sefcik || Hello Little Scout said...

Seriously, these wreaths are the CUTEST! I think I may have to steal this idea! Super "pin worthy!!!". So glad you wandered over to our blog! Can't wait to see what else you guys are up to :)

UpdikeUpdates.com said...

Adria- you always know how to make my day. I feel the same way about you! Thanks love!

UpdikeUpdates.com said...

This NEEDS to happen. STAT. I decided. 6 weeks ago. Espesh now that my littles are in school. ;) Let's plan it! I'd say let's do it over the Wright's so Heather could play too but all I'd wanna do is hold babies and I wouldn't get any crafting done. Let's be honest. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing! haha. (And with triplets there'd be one for each of us! ;) Yeeee so excited they're finally out of the hospital!

UpdikeUpdates.com said...

Thanks Jaime! I've been out if the blogging scene for so long! It feels good to be back and catch up with everyone through theirs! I love watching Bentley grow! You're such a fun momma!

UpdikeUpdates.com said...

*Jamie! :*